×
Published
Nov 17, 2015
Share
Download
Download the article
Print
Click here to print
Text size
aA+ aA-

Italy tops Europe for number of fashion industry jobs

Published
Nov 17, 2015

It's a well-known fact that Italy rhymes with fashion, indeed with high fashion. However, another fact that many aren't fully aware of is that Italy is also the European country with the highest number of fashion and accessories industry workers, equivalent to approximately 25% of total industry jobs in Europe.


Picture: Apcom


The fact emerged from the data produced by Hermes Lab that were made public on 16th November by Pitti Immagine, at the presentation of Pitti Uomo's next edition (Florence, 12th-15th January 2016). Altogether, Italy numbers 610,000 fashion industry workers, with another 200,000 employed in the retail trade: three times as many as in Germany or Spain, as much as five times more than in France or the UK .

In terms of revenue, fashion in Italy will generate €74 billion in 2015, a 40% share of total European fashion industry sales. Of the overall Italian revenues, 86% is produced by apparel, and the remaining 14% by eyewear, fine and costume jewellery. Exports in 2015 will reach a value of €60.5 billion, equivalent to 25% of the EU countries' total exports.

Copyright © 2022 FashionNetwork.com All rights reserved.